Brian & Monica Mortensen

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Kindergarten. The beginning of Sofia's new era.

 Sofia started Kindergarten July 23rd, 2012.
Age: 4
Favorite Color: Pink
Favorite Singer: Justin Beiber
Favorite Song: Boyfriend by Justin Beiber and Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen
Favorite TV Show: Wizards of Waverly Place and H2O
Hobbies: Swimming, dancing, singing, and shopping
What do you what to be when you grow up? Her answer was "Mom you ask me all the time! a FASHIONISTA!!"
 Sofia officially started a new chapter in her life and she loves it. She was more than ready for Kindergarten. She loves going to school. Her teacher said "Sofia is always eager to learn." Her favorite part about school is P.E. and Music. She also likes going to the library but they haven't checked out books yet. Sofia has made many new friends. Mrs. Downs said "Sofia is a social butterfly, she loves meeting new people and she is not shy at all."
 Anyways, I was always told I was going to cry when Sofia started school. For some reason I thought I wouldn't, but I was wrong. That morning I was in "shock." {Really, my 7.2lb baby is already off to kinder} It seemed unreal. Sofia kept telling me "MOM LETS GO!" She was so ready to go to school. We walk to school, it takes us about 5 minutes to get to the CTA. Students are not allowed on campus before 7:55 and that's the time we leave our house. Sofia likes getting there early to play. Back to the story, on July 23rd I walked Sofia to school and I kept telling her we should go back home but she said no, she wanted to go to school. I was carrying some of the stuff on the teacher's wish list so I walked right into her classroom that morning. I checked out her desk and pretty much everything in the classroom. I tried taking pictures of Sofia but she kept telling me to leave because school was starting. So I got as many pictures as I could and kissed her goodbye. Then I left her classroom. In the hallway there were many kids crying. They did not want to be dropped off. There was also some moms crying, which I thought "really lady, it's just kindergarten." I started walking home. Just me and Hazel. Then it happened. I started crying. I felt a huge knot in my throat and a big empty hole in my heart. Seriously. I did feel that way. I had this flashback of when I first held Sofia seconds after she was born. It felt like that moment happened yesterday. My baby girl was in kindergarten!! I was happy because Sofia was in school, especially because she was happy being in school. But I was sad.. It truly was a bittersweet moment. When I got home I cried even more. The house felt empty. Hazel and I hung out all day waiting for it to be 2:30 to walk right back to the CTA and pick up Sofia. When I saw her walking out the front door with a huge smile the mixed feelings went away. Sofia told me about her first day of school. The next days got a little easier. Our morning routine is a lot better now. I stay and watch Sofia play until the bell rings and the kids have to line up.. but I'm not the only mom who stays. Most of them do. Plus, Sofia has asked to stay and watch her play. I know 10 years from know I will be having flashbacks of the days I watched her play in kindergarten and I will most likely cry.. Oh kindergarten!

Sofia, I hope you enjoy each and every day in Kindergarten. We are so proud of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment